Wednesday, September 25, 2013

iOS 7: Update or Not Update?

There was an event in my life that I initially attributed as personal, which can be only interesting to family members and close friends. But it appears I was wrong...

My daughter called me in the middle of the day. “Daddy, I like it so much. I’ve just updated!” The first question she got from the classmates was: “Have you updated yet?” Yes, it was about iOS 7. And no, she doesn’t go to a special school for young geeks. It’s a normal Ukrainian school, but with a bit more focus on English.

When I installed the early developers’ preview of iOS 7 I was a bit puzzled. Initially it felt way too different. All those cute bits, shades, textures here and there were gone. The difference to me looked like this:

There are lots of jokes appearing on internet, like: “Son, we know you installed iOS 7. Me and Dad understand... We still love you. And now you can take my lipstick when needed...”
This almost the same I told my friends when I saw the developers’ preview build for the first time. I expected it would be unstable, I expected it would be different, but I didn’t expect it would feel that different. Then after a couple of weeks I get used to it.

No, I got used to it not because I’m becoming a “couturier”. This blog is from a straight man.

First of all, I thought that Apple guys who created the new version understand this stuff more than average users or even people who write for iOS. After all, it’s us buying stuff they make, not vice versa! So I thought there should be something in there. Me and my colleagues learnt a lot when we created Travel Pocket. But people who create tools for billions of people see things from a different perspective.

I would highly recommend viewing the Google I/O 2013 session on Cognitive Science and Design. It’s mainly not about computer software. The talk is about how we see and interact with the world around us, it’s about “software” within our brains. So if you’re in design, psychology, or just curious to know how things work, this session would give a yummy food your brain.

Those who are really busy, scroll the video to 8:15 to the section on geons. It explains the reason behind making things simpler and flat in UI design. Of course, the talk from Google I/O says it all about Android, but Apple guys do their homework as well.

Now consider this, if only one operation done one time saves only 20 milliseconds for 1 billion people around the world, it gives us over 2 years of work for one person. Are you willing to spend 2 years doing a stupid job to reverse the below change?




No comments:

Post a Comment